Saturday, January 26, 2013

Maui Wowie Smoothie


Well hello again.  It’s been awhile. 
At this time last week, we were on Maui – 76 degrees, warm sunshine, beautiful mountains and beaches… Now we’re back in the northeast and it’s cold and terrible.  It was 78 when we flew out of Honolulu and 15 (with a wind chill of 2) when we arrived at JFK.  Needless to say, I've been very jet lagged and very unhappy with January in New York.
I’m trying to get back to eating healthier again and this frozen smoothie just came to me organically when I conveniently had all of the ingredients on hand.  One lone banana casually hanging around?  Check.  Trader Joe’s pineapple spears that were getting a little too sweet?  Check.  Random pieces of citrus?  Perfect combination.
I love frozen drinks, but always get frustrated trying to blend ice down to the perfect consistency of restaurant-quality beverages with no success.  There are always ice particles clogging my straw, which makes me sad.  My friend Carrie regularly makes smoothies with frozen bananas so I thought… why not throw the banana and the pineapple in the freezer?  The outcome was a deliciously frozen, easy to blend, smooth and healthy tropical concoction that would be outrageously guilt-free if one wanted to substitute the water for coconut rum for an at-home adult beverage. The problem? It made me miss Hawaii even more.

Maui Wowie Smoothie
1 frozen banana
3 frozen fresh pineapple spears (or 1½ cups of pineapple chunks)
Juice from 1 lime
Juice from 1 orange
2 TBS coconut syrup & ¼ cup of water (or ¼ cup of coconut water or milk)

Blend together in blender, throw in a fancy glass and sip yourself to an imaginary paradise. 


I kept this one healthy, honest.   The next one may not be so lucky.

2 comments:

Lopez and Lisa said...

Maybe you need to move to Maui and help keep yo mama mo healthy, too! Miss you and wish you were here :-(

Kevin said...

This makes me want to sip myself to an imaginary paradise (love your one-liners)!