Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Tex Mex Chopped Salad


Ever since my return from vacation, I’ve been back on my healthier eating regiment – trying to eat more fruits, vegetables and “whole foods”; less processed, packaged and takeaway meals; a substantial cutback on booze.  I may not have noticed feeling any better physically, but at least I’m feeling a lot better mentally about how I’m treating my body. 
My friend from work, Jenelle, and I try to have a girls’ afternoon every few months.  This often proves to be challenging to coordinate due to our work schedules, my weekend commuter relationship, and the other real-world nonsense getting in our way.  But when we do get together, we usually have a girl-date lasting about 6 hours. 
A majority of our outings begin with a delicious frozen margarita (usually two) at Blockheads – my neighborhood go-to Mexican joint – and end with a pseudo-healthy meal back at my apartment.  Since their $4 margaritas are delicious, potent, and unquestionably calorie-laden, I always prepare a late lunch that is both filling and chocked full of guilt-free foodstuffs.
Playing off of our margarita-fueled afternoon, this tex mex style salad was simple, but delicious.  I always like to poach my chicken if I’m going to shred it – a quick, easy, and healthy method.  The combination of textures and flavors will blow your mind. 


Tex Mex Chopped Salad
Salad
4-5 leaves of Romaine, chopped
1-2 cups of baby spinach, chopped
1 cup cooked, shredded chicken breast
1 shallot, chopped
Handful of baby heirloom tomatoes, sliced
½ small red pepper, diced
½ avocado, cubed
½ - 15 oz. can of whole kernel corn, drained and rinsed
½ - 15 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
Dressing
2/3 cup low fat sour cream
Juice from 1 lime
½ tsp cumin
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1 TBS salsa verde (I use Trader Joe's, of course)

Combine ingredients for salad and dressing in two separate bowls; toss dressing with salad prior to serving.

Warning: this is a massive salad, enough for 4-5 people.  However, you will eat it all yourself… and not feel guilty.

4 comments:

Maui Mama said...

That looks so good and so good for you!! I MUST try this. Just wish we could share the meal together.

jenelle henry said...

The best homeade salad I have ever had! The taste, the texture, the look..it was amazing! LiLi those hands are those of a gifted chef! Cant wait for your next meal!

Kevin said...

I'm proud of my super-fit foodie girlfriend. Looks great!

D said...

Looking good. Tasting will be even better. Thanx for sharing!